Aired January 28, 2013
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 bunch Italian parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 1/2 pounds ground, grass-fed chuck
- 1/2 pound ground pork shoulder
- 2 ounces plus 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel seed
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 pound Applewood-smoked bacon
- For the Chipotle Bacon Red Eye Gravy:
- 1/2 pound Applewood bacon, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon minced chipotle pepper
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2/3 cup black coffee
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
In the food processor place the garlic, celery, carrot, parsley and onion, and pulse until finely chopped.
In the mixing bowl of a stand mixer, combine the ground chuck, pork shoulder and bacon fat with the eggs, mustard, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and dry seasonings. Start mixer on low until partially incorporated then add ground vegetables and continue mixing until smooth. Add breadcrumbs and mix just until incorporated, be cautious not to overmix.
In a 4-inch loaf pan, lay in strips of bacon, press them against the wall of the pan, allowing the ends of each piece to drape over the sides. At the ends of the pan, lay in additional slices of bacon, allowing one end to drape over the side. Carefully load the pan with your meatloaf mixture and press the filling into the pan to force out any air pockets. Fold over bacon ends to seal the meatloaf in the pan and place in a 375F oven for 1 hour or until center of loaf reaches 160 degrees when poked with a thermometer.
Once desired temperature has been reached, remove pan from oven and allow it to cool. Once 4x4 is cooled you can turn it out onto a cutting board and slice your portions. To serve, warm a indoor griddle or large saut pan with 1 tablespoon bacon fat and sear each slice of meatloaf till a nice crust forms, flip and sear the other side, about 2-3 minutes on each side. Smother with Chipotle Bacon Red Eye Gravy.
Chipotle Bacon Red Eye Gravy:
Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook bacon until browned, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, add shallots and cook until translucent. Sprinkle flour over the pan drippings. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and add minced chipotle, adobo sauce and ketchup; pour coffee into the pan. Cook and stir until combined and thickened. Season to taste and keep hot until ready to serve.