Aired January 24, 2013
- 1 pound beef filet or petite filet
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 to 3 tablespoons pured chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (pured in a food processor or blender)
- 1/3 cup mexican crema, sour cream or creme frache
- 3/4 pound dried egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Chopped chives and cilantro, for garnish
Freeze the beef for 10 minutes. Slice into thin strips.
In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over high heat. Add the beef and stir-fry until browned, 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil.
To the skillet, add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and stir-fry the mushrooms, onion and garlic for 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and thyme.
Stir in the beef stock and pured chipotles. Stir in the beef, its juices and the crema (or other cream). Lower the heat and simmer while the noodles cook.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, and add the noodles. Cook until tender. Drain then toss with the butter, chives and cilantro. Top with the stroganoff.