Aired January 8, 2013
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 small green or red bell pepper, cut into strips 1/4-inch thick (about 6 strips total)
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced button mushrooms
- 1 Applegate Farms Organic Sweet Italian Chicken and Turkey Sausage, sliced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon plain hummus
- 1 oat bran six-inch pitas
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons of low-fat Greek yogurt
Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Add the peppers and onions in a single layer. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
Toss the peppers and onions, and add the mushrooms to the skillet. Place the sausage in with the vegetables and cook for 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally, until the vegetables are softened and the sausage is heated through.
Combine the mustard, hummus and yogurt in a small bowl. Top the pita with the sausage, mustard mixture, and vegetables. Season with pepper to taste.