Originally aired January 2, 2013
- 1/4 cup EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 small fresh red chiles, seeded and finely chopped or 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 5 to 6 cloves garlic, very finely chopped or thinly sliced
- 3 pints cherry tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- About 1/2 cup basil, torn
- About 2 tablespoons aged, syrup-like balsamic vinegar or balsamic drizzle
- A fat handful of parsley, finely chopped
- 1 pound pepperoncini (red pepper pasta)-flavored penne or spaghetti or semolina penne rigate or spaghetti
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta.
Heat EVOO over medium heat in a large saucepan with a lid. Add chilies and garlic, swirl for a minute or 2 then add tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Add basil leaves, cover pan, raise heat a bit and cook 10-12 minutes, shaking pan occasionally, until tomatoes burst. Uncover and stir in balsamic drizzle and reduce heat to low.
Salt water and cook pasta to al dente. Reserve 1/2 to 3/4 cup starchy cooking water just before draining pasta.
Add water and drained pasta to sauce, add parsley and toss to combine. Adjust salt and pepper and top with lots of cheese.