Aired December 7, 2012
- 1 tablespoon EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus additional for drizzling
- 3 tablespoons butter, plus some softened to butter toast
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sage, thinly sliced
- About 1/3 cup dry sherry
- About 1/3 cup beef stock
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak or sirloin, at room temp
- Steak seasoning or Kosher salt and coarse black pepper
- 4 hand-cut slices (about 3/4 inch thick) good quality white bread, toasted
- 3/4 pound crumbled blue cheese, smoked blue cheese or smoked cheddar cheese
Heat 1 tablespoon EVOO in a pan over medium-high heat. Melt butter into oil; add mushrooms and brown well, 12-15 minutes. Add shallots, garlic and herbs, and cook to soften a few minutes more. Add sherry, let reduce for 2 minutes, add stock and reduce by half.
Rub meat with a drizzle of oil. Heat grill, griddle pan or cast-iron skillet to medium-high heat. Char meat in the pan or on the grill then season liberally and cook 8 minutes for rare, 12 for medium, turning once. Let rest and slice.
Butter toast and cut into diagonal halves. Arrange toast points on dinner plates, top with sliced steak, lots of cheese crumbles and sherry mushrooms. Serve with a cress salad alongside.