Originally aired November 26, 2012
- 1 large or 2 medium sweet potatoes, about 1 pound
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup chicken stock
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon chipotle in adobo, finely chopped or pured
- About 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- About 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- A pinch of cinnamon
- 1/2 pound chorizo, either 2 links fresh Mexican sausages or 1/2 pound Spanish-style chorizo, casing removed and thinly sliced
- EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling or cooking spray
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Manchego, cheddar or Monterey Jack cheeses
- Cilantro or parsley leaves
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- Fresh or store-bought salsa and sour cream, for topping
Peel and cube potatoes, place in a saucepot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, salt water and cook to tender. Drain and mash with stock, lime zest, chipotle, cumin, coriander, cinnamon and pepper; cover to keep warm.
For fresh chorizo, in a large skillet, brown and crumble then drain. For Spanish chorizo, render and crisp slices a minute or 2 on each side and drain. Wipe out skillet and return to heat over medium-high flame.
Drizzle pan with oil and spread around or spray with cooking spray. Char tortilla on first side and flip, cover half with some sweet potatoes, chorizo, cheese, cilantro or parsley leaves and scallions. Fold tortilla over and turn a couple of times to melt cheese. Cut into wedges and serve. Pass salsa and sour cream for topping.