Aired November 21, 2012
- Flour, for dusting
- 1 store-bought pie crust
- 1 cup grated extra sharp yellow cheddar cheese
- 2 cups canned pumpkin pure
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- A few grates whole nutmeg, about 1/8 of a teaspoon
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- A pinch ground cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- For garnish, sweet or sweet-and-spicy candied pecans, chopped
Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven, preheat oven to 350F.
Lightly flour a work surface, unroll the pie dough and scatter grated cheese over the dough. Lightly flour a rolling pin then roll the cheese into the dough. Fill a 9-inch pie plate or tin with the dough, cheese-side down. Using your fingers, crimp the pie dough overhang along the edge of the pie plate in a decorative scalloped fashion.
For the filling, combine the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl using a whisk. Pour filling into the prepared pie plate and spread out evenly. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center is clean when removed. Remove pie and cool to room temp, slice and serve garnished with candied chopped pecans.