Aired November 16, 2012
- 3 pints large Brussels sprouts, about 3 pounds
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and grated or pasted, plus 1 clove, crushed
- About 1 1/2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- About 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg yolk, optional
- 1/4 cup EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- A small handful grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- A handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
Using a small, sharp knife, core the Brussels sprouts and separate leaves. Salt water and add all of the baby cabbage leaves to pot you should have at least 6 cups loosely packed. Count to 30 then drain and cold shock the leaves; drain them again.
Combine the lemon juice, grated or pasted garlic, anchovy paste, Worcestershire, egg yolk (if using), lots of black pepper and EVOO to a bowl and whisk to make dressing. Whisk in cheese once dressing is emulsified.
Heat butter in small skillet with crushed garlic clove over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and toast to golden brown. Add parsley and remove garlic clove.
Toss Brussels greens with dressing and breadcrumbs.