Aired November 16, 2012
- 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 4 frying peppers, such as cubanelle, and red frying peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 hot chili pepper, thinly sliced, optional
- 1 onion, yellow or red, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 pounds Italian sausage links, hot, sweet or mixed
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- A few leaves torn basil
- 4 sesame seed Italian-style hoagie rolls, split
- 1/2 pound deli-sliced provolone cheese, halved
Heat EVOO in a skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add fennel, peppers, chili, onions, garlic, salt and pepper, and cook to soften 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Place the sausage in another skillet with about 1/4 inch of water and a drizzle of oil. Bring sausages to boil and allow liquids to cook away then crisp skins in the oil.
Add tomato paste to fennel and peppers, and stir 1 minute or so. Add wine and stir another minute; add stock and basil. Reduce heat to simmer.
When sausages are crisp and cooked through, slice them on an angle and add to peppers and onions.
Line rolls with cheese and fill with sliced sausages and fennel, peppers and onions. Serve with Ritz Fried Delicata Squash Rings alongside.