Originally aired November 16, 2012
- Olive oil, for shallow frying
- Freshly ground black pepper
- A few tablespoons fresh, finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- About 1 cup (1/2 sleeve) Ritz crackers, ground into crumbs in a food processor
- 2 eggs
- About 1 cup flour
- 1 delicata squash
Cut off each end of the squash and, using a spoon, hollow out the seeds from each end. Thinly slice into rings 1/8-inch thick as thin as possible. Salt and drain rings a few minutes on paper towels.
Set up breading station: one dish with the flour, one with the eggs beaten with milk and another with the Ritz crumbs mixed with panko, parm and parsley.
In a large skillet, heat a shallow layer of olive oil (about 1/4 inch) over medium to medium-high heat.
Coat rings in flour, then egg, then crumbs and fry in batches to golden and very crisp. Drain on metal rack.