Originally aired November 12, 2012
- For the Chipotle Ketchup:
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons chipotle in adobo paste, pured
- 2 tablespoons cider or white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 12 slices bacon, 4 slices finely chopped
- A drizzle of EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeo peppers, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin, half a scant palmful
- 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander, half a palmful
- 1 tablespoon smoked sweet paprika, a scant palmful
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 4 slices smoked or sharp cheddar
- 4 slices Pepper Jack cheese
- 4 crusty burger rolls, split and toasted
- Lettuce and red onions, for topping
Place ketchup ingredients in a small pot and simmer 20 minutes over low heat to thicken.
Heat oven to 375F and bake 8 slices of bacon on slotted pan to crisp.
Heat a drizzle of EVOO in a skillet, add chopped bacon and cook to crisp. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain, leaving 2 tablespoons drippings in the pan. Cook onions, jalapeos and garlic in the drippings to soften, 7-8 minutes. Let cool.
Place meat in bowl, add chopped bacon, cooled onions and jalapeos, cumin, coriander, paprika, oregano, salt and pepper. Form 4 patties and cook in the skillet over medium-high heat 8-12 minutes, turning once, for medium to well-done. Melt 1 slice of each cheese over each burger during the last minute or 2.
Place burgers on buns, top with bacon slices, lettuce, onions and chipotle ketchup.