Originally aired November 5, 2012
- 16 1/4-inch-thick slices eggplant or green tomatoes
- For the sauce:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 small onion
- 1 28- to 32-ounce can San Marzano tomatoes
- A handful of basil, torn
- Salt, to taste
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- Flour, for dredging
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 3 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Olive oil, for shallow frying
Salt eggplant or tomatoes and drain on paper towels or a dishtowel for 20 minutes, turning once.
For the sauce: Heat a saucepot over medium heat with the butter. When it foams, add garlic and stir 1 minute. Add onion and tomatoes, crushing up tomatoes a bit; stir in basil and a little salt. Simmer 20 minutes then remove onion.
Sandwich mozzarella slices between eggplant or tomatoes. Coat sandwiches in flour, egg then a mixture of breadcrumbs, grated cheese, cornmeal, granulated onion and garlic, and parsley.
Heat oil over medium to medium-high heat. Fry stuffed eggplant or tomato sandwiches about 3 minutes on each side until golden. Serve hot with sauce alongside.