Originally aired October 31, 2012
- 1/2 cup button mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 small stalk celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped thyme
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped sage
- Salt and pepper
- A splash of sherry
- 2 slices white bread
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
- 1 egg, beaten
- 8 slices good quality white bread, toasted
- Ketchup and mustard, for topping
In a large skillet, saut mushrooms in EVOO until brown. Once they begin to brown, add in onion and celery, and cook until softened. Add in garlic and herbs, and season with salt and pepper. Deglaze with a splash of sherry. Set aside and let mixture cool.
In a small bowl, tear the bread into pieces. Pour milk into bowl and let the bread soak.
In a large bowl, mix together meat, soaked bread pieces, egg and the mushroom-onion mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Form the mixture into 4 patties.
On a large grill pan or cast-iron skillet, cook the patties over a medium-high heat, flipping once until cooked to desired doneness.
Serve between two slices of buttered toast with ketchup and mustard.