Originally aired October 17, 2012
- 1/4 cup EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large red sweet pepper, chopped
- 2 cubanelle peppers, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 chili pepper, such as Fresno, jalapeo or Italian cherry, thinly sliced or finely chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 8 eggs
- 1 pint cream or half-n-half
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- A small handful basil leaves, torn or sliced
- Butter, for baking dish and to dot top
- 6 cups chopped or torn stale bread, white or peasant-style, (Amys white or a round peasant)
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with EVOO, 4 turns of the pan. Add peppers, onions, chili pepper and garlic, stir to tender-crisp, 5 minutes. Add cherry tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, remove from heat and cool.
Whisk together eggs, cream or half-n-half, salt, pepper, half the parm cheese, parsley and basil.
Arrange the bread and vegetables in the buttered casserole dish, it will mound up a bit. Pour the eggs over top of the casserole and top with remaining cheese and a few dots of butter. Cover and chill overnight or a couple of days ahead. Bring to room temp. Bake at 375F for 60-75 minutes until cooked through.