Originally aired October 15, 2012
- For the Spice Rub:
- 1 tablespoon ground sumac or paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/3 palmful
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast, pounded to 1/4 inch
- EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
- Sea salt and pepper
- For the Dressing:
- 1 large clove garlic, grated or pasted plus 1 clove split to rub salad bowl with
- 3 tablespoons tahini paste
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 organic egg yolk, optional
- Juice of 1 large, ripe lemon
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 rounded teaspoon anchovy paste
- Coarse black pepper, to taste
- About 1/3 cup EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- About 1/2 cup grated Pecorino cheese, optional (omit for Kosher)
- 7 to 8 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
- Lightly crushed garlic pita chips, such as Stacys or homemade or store-bought garlic croutons
Combine rub ingredients in a small bowl. Dress chicken with EVOO, salt and pepper; coat chicken all over with rub and cover. Let stand 1 hour.
Cook chicken in a hot cast-iron pan or outdoor grill over medium-high heat.
Rub the inside of the salad bowl with the split garlic clove. In the salad bowl, whisk tahini with water to loosen then add egg yolk if using, lemon juice, Worcestershire, anchovy paste, pepper, EVOO and cheese, if using.
Add lettuce to the bowl and toss to combine. Add pita chips or croutons, and top with sliced grilled chicken.