Originally aired October 2, 2012
- 1 1/2 pounds sugar snap peas
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 ounce grated Pecorino Romano, divided
- 6 fresh mint leaves, cut into thin strips
- 6 fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- Freshly ground black pepper
Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot and add 1 tablespoon salt. Fill a large bowl with 2 quarts water, 2 cups ice, and 1 teaspoon salt.
Place the sugar snaps in the boiling water and cook until just tender, about 2 minutes. Remove the sugar snap peas from the boiling water and submerge it in the ice bath; leave it there until it is complexly chilled, about 2 minutes. Remove the sugar snaps from the ice bath and dry completely with a clean kitchen towel.
Place the sugar snaps in a clean bowl. Add the olive oil, three-quarters of the Pecorino Romano, the mint, and the basil. Mix to coat the sugar snaps evenly and season with salt and pepper.
Divide the sugar snap peas among 4 small plates and sprinkle with the remaining Pecorino Romano.