Originally aired October 1, 2012
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons rosemary, finely chopped
- 8 slices prosciutto di Parma or speck (smoky ham)
- 3 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups passata or tomato pure
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained
- A few leaves of basil, torn
- Crusty bread for mopping
Season chicken with salt and pepper and lots of rosemary. Wrap each piece of chicken in a slice of prosciutto or speck.
Heat 2 tablespoons EVOO in a Dutch oven or deep skillet. Brown the chicken pieces 3 minutes on each side or until ham is crisp; remove to a plate.
To the same pan add remaining EVOO, a turn of the pan, celery, carrot, onion, chili and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, and cook partially covered until soft, stirring frequently 10-12 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, cook 1 minute then add wine, stock, tomato pure, beans and basil. Set chicken back into pan and simmer 10 minutes more.
Serve with crusty bread for mopping.