Aired September 26, 2012
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh mozzarella
- 1 large baguette or French or Italian bread, quartered
- 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 round tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups tomato passata or tomato pure
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- A few leaves basil, torn
Drain mozzarella on a paper towel then thinly slice into half moons.
Heat oven to 375F. Lightly toast bread on 2 baking sheets in the upper and lower third of the oven.
Heat a skillet or medium-size pot over medium-high heat. Add EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, and meat. Brown and crumble the meat then add onions and garlic, season with salt and pepper. Stir in tomato paste, passata or pure, milk, thyme and oregano. Simmer 20 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine parsley, ricotta, Parm, egg yolk, salt and pepper. Spread an even layer of ricotta over the 4 pieces of bread, top with sauce then a layer of fresh mozzarella. Bake pizzas until brown and bubbly on top, 17-18 minutes, garnish with torn basil and serve with a green salad alongside.