Serves 1 serving
Originally aired September 18, 2012
- 14 ounces hand-cut French fries, fried extra crispy (fry three times until golden)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 2 ounces buffalo sauce (recommend Frank's RedHot)
- 1 teaspoon grated Parmesan
- 1 pinch chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup Bleu-Sabi Dipping Sauce (recipe follows)
- For Bleu-Sabi Dipping Sauce:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/8 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/8 tablespoon Tabasco
- Pinch granulated garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 2.5 ounces blue cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons wasabi powder
Hand-cut French fries into 5/16-inch matchsticks. Rinse under cold running water then place in a bowl of cold water mixed with white vinegar and leave to soak overnight.
Drain and pat fries dry. Blanch French fries in a large pot of 325- 350F oil for 5 minutes to cook without color. Drain on a rack and allow to cool to room temperature.
Increase temp of oil to 375F and return fries to fryer. Cook 5 minutes to crisp. Drain and cool on a rack once more. Once fries are room temperature again, put back in oil for the final frying. Fry until golden brown and extra-crispy, 3-5 minutes then drain and dump directly into a large metal bowl.
Toss hot, extra-crispy fries in salt and buffalo sauce to coat evenly. Serve in a paper cone and top with grated parmesan and chopped parsley. Serve with bleu-sabi dressing on the side.
For Bleu-Sabi Dipping Sauce: Mix together well in a food processor or with a whisk. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Yields 2 cups.