Aired September 18, 2012
- 22 ounces (5.5 oz per burger) ground beef (80/20 blend)
- Kosher salt, for seasoning
- Ground black pepper, for seasoning
- 2 ounces cheese sauce
- 4 1-ounce slices cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth mixed with 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon roasted garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 soft brioche hamburger buns, split in half
- 1/2 cup Guys Donkey Sauce (recipe follows)
- 20 paper-thin slices kosher dill pickle (1/16-inch thick)
- 4 Rojo Onion Rings
- 4 tablespoons Guy Fieri Bourbon Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce
- 4 slices heirloom tomato (1/8-inch thick slice, 3-inch diameter)
- 2 ounces finely shaved Vidalia onion (1/32-inch half-moon slices)
- 6 ounces finely shaved iceberg lettuce (1/16-inch shred)
- For Guys Donkey Sauce:
- 1/4 cup minced roast garlic (use a little less if not using pre-prepared roasted garlic as it is stronger in flavor and less subtle than fresh)
- 1 cup prepared mayonnaise (e.g. Hellmann's)
- 4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon regular hot dog mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 pinches ground black pepper
Form the ground beef into a tight ball, 5.5 ounces per ball. Heat a flat-top griddle to very
high heat. Season hamburger ball all over with salt and pepper. Add a little oil to
griddle then place hamburger ball on flat top and flatten with a metal spatula. Flatten
to approx 1/3 inch thickness.
Cook for 1 1/2 minutes to develop a crust on the first side until blood floats to the top.
Flip over and cook for 1 more minute on the second side to develop a crust on that side.
Add cheese sauce to the top of the hamburger and top with the slice of American
cheese. Place a dome lid over the top of the burger. Pour the mixture of stock/water
on to the flat top so the liquid runs under the dome and creates steam to cook the
burger and melt the cheese. Cook for 3 minutes until cheese has melted completely
then remove dome.
Melt butter with garlic and season with salt. Brush inside of bun halves and toast on the
griddle for 3-4 seconds until golden and crisp. Flip and toast for 3-4 seconds so the
outsides are also lightly toasted.
To assemble, smear Donkey sauce on cut-side of both bun halves. Layer base with
pickle slices and hamburger patty. Top with Rojo Onion ring, BBQ Sauce, shaved onions,
tomato, lettuce then place the top half of the bun on top.
For Guys Donkey Sauce: Mix Donkey sauce ingredients together until smooth. Makes about 1 cup.