Originally aired September 14, 2012
- 3/4 pound whole wheat spaghetti or 1 package soba (buckwheat noodles)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus additional for drizzling
- 1/4 pound white or shitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1 red chili pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- 1 quart chicken stock or poaching liquid
- 1 quart store-bought vegetable stock
- About 1/3 cup Tamari sauce or liquid Amino
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced on an angle
- 3 cups poached pulled chicken
- Sesame oil and chili sauce, for drizzling
Bring water to a boil for the pasta or noodles. Salt water, cook to al dente, drain and dress with a touch of oil to keep from sticking. Reserve.
Heat oil in a soup pot over medium-high to high heat, about 2 tablespoons. Add mushrooms and stir 2 minutes. Add carrots, chili pepper, onions, garlic, ginger and stir 2 minutes more. Add edamame, stocks, tamari and bring to boil. Add scallions and chicken and heat through.
Divide pasta or noodles among bowls and pour soup over top. Garnish with sesame oil and chili sauce to taste.
*If making ahead, make soup fully, cool it down and store in the refrigerator. On the night youre ready to eat it, heat soup on the stovetop and cook noodles. Add noodles to hot soup and serve.