Aired September 13, 2012
- For the Meatloaf:
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 4 cloves garlic, grated on a rasp
- 8 sprigs thyme, leaves stripped and chopped
- 1/2 cup Vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 scallion, minced
- 1/2 cup reserved spicy ketchup sauce, from above
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 pound ground dark meat turkey
- 3 slices potato bread, lightly toasted and cubed 1/4-inch
- For the Spicy Ketchup Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha hot chili sauce
- Special Equipment: 9 by 4 1/2-inch loaf pan
- For the Cheeseburger Quesadillas:
- 2 cups crumbled meatloaf (about 4 slices)
- 1/4 cup chopped pickle slices (about 4-6)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup, plus more to dip
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard, plus more to dip
- 1 cup shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese blend
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas
Heat oven to 375F.
Make the spicy ketchup sauce: Add all ingredients to a bowl and stir to combine.
In a large bowl, whisk together Worcestershire sauce, egg, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic, thyme, chopped onion, scallions and 1/2 cup spicy ketchup sauce. Dividing ground chuck and turkey in half, crumble with your fingers and pile on alternately with the bread cubes. So a half pound of crumbled chuck, some bread, then a half pound of ground turkey, some bread and repeat until done. Adding this way will make mixing easier and lighter for a juicier loaf. With one hand, gently mix, bringing the egg mixture from the bottom to the top and around until everything is gently combined. Place into loaf pan, flatten top and pour remaining spicy ketchup sauce over the top evenly. Place in oven for 50 minutes.
Remove and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Tilt loaf pan slowly to one corner and discard any excess fat or juices from the pan while holding the loaf inside. Don't worry, the meatloaf will still be juicy! Slice into 1-inch thick portions. Serve warm and if there's anything left, refrigerate it and enjoy a meatloaf sandwich for leftovers the next day.
For the Cheeseburger Quesadillas:
Heat a large cast-iron griddle to medium-high.
In a bowl, stir together the meatloaf and pickles with the ketchup and mustard.
Assemble quesadillas on the griddle by first placing 2 tortillas directly on the griddle. Evenly sprinkle each with 1/4 of the cheese, top each evenly with the meatloaf mixture (spread away, the back of a metal spoon works best!), then top both evenly with the remaining cheese. Next top each with the remaining two tortillas and cook on one side while gently pressing with a spatula until a peak beneath reveals a crisp, golden and slightly charred bottom, this should take about 2-4 minutes. Carefully flip, then cook on the other side until the same results occur on the bottom tortilla. Remove to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes before slicing with a pizza wheel or long knife. Serve with ketchup and mustard for dipping.
*Use ketchup and mustard packages from take-out if packing these for lunch.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 50 minutes