Aired July 25, 2012
- 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 Granny Smith or red apples or a combination, peeled and cored (Can also substitute sliced pears or pineapple (fresh or drained), mango)
- 3/4 cup chopped and diced, remaining fruit cored, peeled and sliced into rings
- 6 to 8 ounces cheese (sharp cheddar, Brie or blue cheese) depending on taste
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or almonds)
- 1/4 cup raisins (yellow or brown)optional
- 1/2 cup fruit juice (apple, pear or pineapple, mango)
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 tablespoon curry powder or less to taste
- 1/4 tablespoon garlic or onion powder
- 4 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- Salt and pepper
- EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley for garnish
- Kitchen Utensils:
- Chicken specific cutting board
- Serrated knife
- Wax paper
- Meat pounder or rolling pin
- 7-inch skillet that is oven safe
- Two spoons for mixing and spooning
- Apple corer and peeler
- Vegetable cutting board
Remove chicken breasts from package and cut off any excess fat on cutting board.
Option 1: Place between two pieces of wax paper, use meat pounder or rolling pin to flatten chicken to about 1/4 inch, not too thin.
Option 2: Cut breast with a knife about 3/4 of the way through making a pocket, open flat.
Mix cheese, nuts, raisins, curry powder, onion or garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. Gently stir in chopped fruit of choice.
Take a clean spoon, use above mixture and spread evenly on either way you cut breast. Make sure not to over stuff and leave a small area without filling on the edges. Roll up breasts and secure with toothpicks.
Heat burner to medium to medium-high depending on stove. Coat pan with EVOO and swirl. Give it a while to heat and then gently place chicken breasts. Brown both sides until they are golden.
Add apple juice, broth and whole garlic cloves.
Either cover on the stove and simmer for about 20 minutes or cover and place in oven at 375F for 20 minutes. Keep an eye on liquid so it does not all evaporate.
Remove and place on platter. Let stand about 3-4 minutes before slicing or serving. Remove toothpicks and garlic cloves.
Meanwhile, add a touch more fruit juice or broth and deglaze pan. Add rings of fruit and cook for a minute or two.
Plate chicken as you like, cover with sauce from pan. Arrange ring of fruit on top and garnish with parsley.
Serve with baked baby carrots with brown sugar and brown rice.
*Add more liquid of your choice to make more juice. You can also add some cornstarch or flour to thicken the sauce.