Aired July 24, 2012
- 1 cup mayo or vegan mayo
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped gherkins or cornichons
- 2 tablespoons capers, chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 4 6-ounce salmon filets, skinless, chopped into 2-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning, 2/3 palmful
- A handful of cracker crumbs or fine bread crumbs
- Olive oil
- Sliced lettuce, tomato and red onions
- 4 crusty burger rolls, split
Mix together mayo or vegan mayo with pickles, capers, dill, lemon juice, hot sauce, Worcestershire, salt and pepper.
Add salmon to food processor with 1/4 cup of the tartar sauce and pulse to finely chop and combine. Place salmon mix in bowl and mix in cracker crumbs and Old Bay. Form 4 burgers.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil or a thin layer in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add burgers and cook 6-8 minutes, turning occasionally, for barely pink centers and 2 minutes more for fully cooked fish. Serve on buns with lettuce, tomato and onions and glue tops in place with a slather of homemade tartar sauce.