Originally aired July 20, 2012
- 1 1/2 pounds hot or sweet Italian sausages, pork, chicken or turkey
- 3 ears corn on the cob, husked
- 3 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds broccoli rabe, 1 large bundle
- Salt and pepper
- 1 fresh Fresno or other medium-heat chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 bulb spring garlic or 3-4 large cloves, thinly sliced
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup quick cooking polenta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Grated Pecorino Romano, a couple of handfuls
- For coarser polenta, use quick-cook method on coarse corn meal, which takes about 20-25 minutes. Directions on side of bag.
Bring a few inches of water to a boil in skillet and let sausages cook for 10 minutes.
Preheat grill or grill pan over medium to medium-high heat.
Brush sausages and corn with EVOO. Grill corn until charred evenly, cool to handle and scrape kernels, reserve.
Boil broccoli rabe in few inches of salted water to remove bitterness, 2-3 minutes, drain.
Place sausages on grill to crisp up the casings, remove and cover to keep warm.
Heat EVOO in skillet over medium heat, add chilies and garlic and stir 1-2 minutes. Add broccoli rabe and heat through, season with salt, pepper and nutmeg, reduce heat to low to keep warm.
Heat chicken stock and milk to a low boil, whisk in polenta, thicken 2-3 minutes, then add butter, cheese and half of corn. Slice sausages on an angle.
Serve polenta in shallow bowls topped with a sprinkle of remaining corn, sliced sausages and a pile of broccoli rabe with chilies and garlic.