Originally aired June 28, 2012
- For the Piri Piri Chicken:
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 4 Fresno chilies or 2 long hot chili peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, grated or pasted
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 inches ginger root, peeled and grated
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander, a scant palmful
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika, a scant palmful
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin, half a palmful
- EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for liberal drizzling
- For the Grilled Corn Salad:
- 4 ears corn on the cob, husks and silk removed
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- Juice of 2 limes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1/3 cup EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 fresno chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 pound baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced blanched almonds, lightly toasted
Place chicken in a shallow dish. In a food processor, process peppers, grated garlic, shallot, ginger, lime juice, coriander, paprika and cumin into a paste.
Score chicken with shallow slashes and rub with paste. Season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with oil. Marinate a minimum of 1 hour and up to 4.
Preheat grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Make sure the grill is well cleaned and the grates thoroughly oiled. Grill chicken thighs, about 6-7 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Serve Grilled Corn Salad alongside.
For the Grilled Corn Salad:
Preheat grill or grill pan to medium.
Place corn on the grill and grill, rotating every 2-3 minutes to evenly marked all over. Remove and cool slightly. With a paring knife, cut the kernels from the cob and reserve.
While the corn is cooling, in a bowl, combine the red onion, fresno chili pepper, garlic, lime juice, salt and pepper, and let sit a couple of minutes. Whisk in the honey, hot sauce and the EVOO.
Add grilled corn kernels, spinach and toss to combine garnish with toasted almonds.