Aired May 17, 2012
- 2 cups dry basmati rice
- 2 15-ounce cans organic kidney beans, rinsed or 1 cup dry kidney beans soaked. (Strain the beans and reserve the cooking liquid to make the vegetable broth.)
- 4 cups Better than Bouillon Vegetable Base
- 2 Field Roast apple sausage or other quality vegan sausage
- 2 Field Roast Italian sausage or other quality vegan sausage
- 1 tablespoon high heat oil, such as grapeseed or safflower oil
- 1 large white onion, medium dice
- 6 6-inch ribs of celery, small dice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 red bell pepper, minced
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper as needed
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion
Make the Basmati Rice: Rinse the rice thoroughly. In a pot with a good fitting lid, bring the rice and 3 cups of water to a simmer. Reduce the heat to maintain a low-gentle simmer. Cover the rice and cook until the water is absorbed, (about 20 minutes). Remove the pot from the heat and keep the rice covered until needed.
Make the Red Beans: In a blender, puree 3/4 of the rinsed beans in the 4 cups of broth until smooth. Add the remaining beans to the pureed mixture but do not blend.
Cut the sausages in quarters lengthwise then cut them crosswise into 1/8 pieces and reserve.
Heat a 4-5 quart stew pot over high heat. Add the oil and wait until it shimmers. Add the onions and celery and stir with a wooden spoon until translucent, (About 10 minutes) Add the garlic and cook two minutes more. Add the chopped sausage, chili powder, thyme, bean puree and red peppers and bring it to a simmer. Allow the beans to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Stir frequently.
Season the beans with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Serve over basmati rice and garnish with green onions.