Originally aired May 11, 2012
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup half-n-half or cream
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 8 slices good quality white bread, hand sliced
- 1/2 pound sliced prosciutto de Parma or prosciutto cotto
- About 2/3-3/4 pound sliced Fontina Val DAosta or fresh mozzarella
Beat eggs with cream; season with salt, pepper and a little nutmeg. Add Parm and combine.
Combine honey, mustard, thyme, lemon juice in a small bowl. Spread on one side of the bread slices. Build sandwiches of prosciutto and cheese. Turn sandwiches in the egg mixture.
Melt a few tablespoons of butter in a large pan over medium heat. When butter foams, cook until sandwiches are golden and the cheese has melted. Cut them corner to corner and serve with an orange and scallion or red onion salad dressed with EVOO, salt and pepper alongside.