Originally aired May 9, 2012
- 1 slice good quality white bread
- 1 large bulb garlic, end cut to expose all the cloves
- EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling plus about 1/3 cup
- Salt and pepper
- 1 red onion, quartered
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 2 ripe vine or plum tomatoes
- 2 chili peppers, such as Serrano or Fresno
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- A small handful of Marcona almonds
- About 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
Preheat oven to 400F and preheat grill to medium-high.
Toast bread in toaster on medium setting. Once it pops up, let it stand a few minutes then toast again. Cool and dice into croutons.
Dress garlic with a drizzle of EVOO, salt and pepper and wrap in foil. Roast to tender, 35 minutes, cool and remove cloves from skins.
Meanwhile, dress onion with EVOO and char onions and peppers on grill or under hot broiler. Cool large peppers in bowl to handle, wipe off charred skins and seed. Char tomatoes and wipe off most of their skins. Add all the ingredients to a food processor along with roast garlic cloves, thyme, almonds, croutons, vinegar and about 1/3 cup EVOO. Pulse into thick sauce and serve with Spanish Fish Tacos.