Serves 4 to 6
Originally aired May 2, 2012
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 4 to 6 boneless skinless chicken breast filets (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup UNCLE BENS ORIGINAL CONVERTED Brand Rice
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Yellow food coloring, as needed (optional)
Preheat oven to 350F.
Spray a glass baking dish evenly with cooking spray. Place onions in baking dish; top with chicken filets. Season the chicken evenly with salt, black pepper and garlic powder. Pour chicken broth into baking dish and bake for 20 minutes.
Remove baking dish from oven. Transfer chicken breast filets to container and reserve. To baking dish, add rice, bell peppers, peas, cilantro and oregano. If desired, add 2 shakes of yellow coloring. Stir rice mixture. Arrange reserved chicken breast filets over rice. Cover and bake for 25 minutes.
Remove from oven, gently stir rice mixture, cover with foil and bake an additional 10 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked and rice is tender and all liquid is absorbed.