Originally aired May 2, 2012
- For the Mixed Grill:
- 3/4 cup EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed, divided
- 3 to 4 tablespoons oregano, finely chopped, divided
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped, divided
- 2 to 3 spring onions or scallions, whites and greens, chopped, divided
- 2 lemons, sliced, divided
- 4 to 6 pieces chicken breast
- Salt and pepper or poultry seasoning blend
- 1 pound extra-large shrimp or prawns, deveined
- Seafood seasoning
- 1 pound Spanish chorizo, cut into chunks
- For the Rice Salad:
- 3 cups chicken stock
- A pinch of saffron threads
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup thin spaghetti, broken into 2-inch pieces
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups white rice
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus some for drizzling
- 2 pequillo peppers or 4 whole pimientos, chopped
- 1/2 cup shelled, blanched peas or defrosted organic frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon (a scant palmful) smoked sweet or sweet paprika
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper
For the mixed grill, pour 1/2 cup EVOO, 4 cloves garlic, half the oregano, half the parsley, half the scallions and 1 sliced lemon into a food storage bag. Season chicken with salt and pepper or poultry seasoning and add to bag. Marinate 1-3 hours.
Place remaining ingredients for marinade in separate plastic bag. Season shrimp and add to bag. Marinate 1-3 hours.
Preheat an outdoor grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Grill chicken 12 minutes, cook shrimp until pink and firm. Cook chorizo until crisp and marked.
For the rice salad, heat stock with saffron over low heat.
In a saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, melt butter over medium heat. Add pasta and toast until nutty, fragrant and brown. Add onions and garlic and stir 2 minutes. Add rice and stir to combine. Add bay leaf and warm saffron stock, cook 18 minutes covered over low simmer until tender. Transfer rice to a bowl and combine with peppers and peas, season with paprika and the lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle with more EVOO just before serving at room temp or chilled alongside the mixed grill.