Aired April 24, 2012
- Good quality smoky bacon, 3 slices per sandwich (I like Oscars Smoke House Bacon)
- Good quality salted butter, melted
- 8 hand-sliced slices white bread, 1/2-inch thick
- 1/2 cup grainy Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup dark amber maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups shredded super sharp cheddar or 8 slices white cheddar cheese (I prefer Oscars Smoke House XXX Cheddar)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded or 8 slices Gruyre cheese
Preheat oven to 375F. Place bacon on a slotted broiler pan and bake to crisp.
Brush 1 side of each slice of bread liberally with melted butter.
Stir together Dijon mustard and maple syrup in a small bowl.
Assemble sandwiches: bread, buttered side out, maple mustard, cheddar, bacon, Gruyre, bread with mustard on inside, buttered side out.
Grill sandwiches on a nonstick griddle over medium heat until cheese melts and theyre deeply golden.