Originally aired April 4, 2012
- 1 whole head of garlic
- 1/4 cup EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus additional for drizzling
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1 bunch kale, thick stems removed and discarded, leaves shredded
- 1/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese (a generous handful), plus more for serving
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
Cut end off garlic bulb, exposing the tops of the cloves. Place on a piece of foil, drizzle with EVOO, salt and pepper. Wrap garlic up in the foil and roast 45-50 minutes. Let cool then squish out the garlic cloves from the skins into a food processor.
While the garlic is roasting, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt it, add the spaghetti and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta cooking water.
Bring another large pot of water to a boil. Add salt and add kale cook for about a minute, drain and squeeze dry.
Add the kale, cheese, lemon juice, mustard, anchovy paste and Worcestershire sauce into a food processor with the garlic cloves and pure. Season with pepper. Add the pine nuts and about 1/4 cup EVOO. Process, streaming in additional EVOO to form a thick pesto; season with salt.
In a pasta bowl, combine the pasta, pesto and reserved pasta cooking water; toss to combine. Serve with more cheese at the table.