Aired April 3, 2012
- For the Pesto:
- 2 cups lightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, freshly grated
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- For the Italian-Style Rice:
- 1 package Uncle Bens® Rice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 pound pork or turkey sausage
- 1/4 cup Pesto
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
For the Pesto:
Into the bowl of a food processor, place the garlic, basil, pine nuts, cheese and salt. Pulse until the mixture is finely chopped. With the food processor still running, stream in 1/2 cup of EVOO into the mixture until it becomes a smooth paste. Set aside.
For the Rice:
Prepare rice to package directions.
In a large pan, heat a few tablespoons EVOO over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook until browned, breaking it up as it cooks. Add pesto and rice. Toss until coated.
Top with cheese and serve.