Aired March 28, 2012
- 1 Russet potato, skin-on, finely shredded on a mandoline and soaked in water for at least 1 hour
- 4 hot dogs
- 4 wooden chopsticks
- 1/8 cup flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- Peanut oil, for frying
- Special equipment: Deep fryer
Using one chopstick per hot dog, slowly pierce one end of each hot dog with the tapered end of the stick and guide it three-quarters of the way up each hot dog. Dust each hot dog with flour and shake off excess. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, add 1/8 cup flour, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and a grind or two of black pepper. Whisk in egg.
Drain potatoes in a colander and rinse with water. Using a clean kitchen towel or paper towels, place shredded potatoes in the center and close corners of cloth or paper towels. Twist in alternate directions with the potatoes in a ball in one hand and the excess towel in the other, squeezing out as much excess moisture as possible. Add dried potato shreds in bowl with egg mixture and combine until blended.
Heat oil in deep fryer to 350F.
Divide potato mixture into four even sections and, using your hands, press potato mixture around each hot dog.
Fry until golden brown on all sides, about 5-7 minutes each.