Serves 4 servings
Originally aired February 15, 2012
- About 2 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks, 4 to 5 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 pound bratwurst, diced
- 4 bone-in chops or skin-on, bone-in chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 2 Honeycrisp apples, skin on and sliced
- 2 onions, sliced into thin wedges with root end attached
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup cider or hard cider
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup really dark amber maple syrup
- 1/4 cup spicy brown mustard
Preheat oven to 325F.
Cover potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Salt water and boil to tender. Drain and return to hot pot, mash with milk and cheddar, and season with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add brats and brown until crisp.
Mix half the brats into potatoes and reserve the rest to top the potatoes before serving.
Season the chops or chicken aggressively with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add meat and brown on each side, transfer to oven to finish cooking through, 12-15 minutes.
Add 1 tablespoon butter to skillet and melt. Add apples and onions, and season with salt and pepper. Cook to tender-crisp, 7-8 minutes, remove and cover. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter, melt, whisk in flour 1 minute, whisk in cider or hard cider. Add stock let thicken. Add in Worcestershire, syrup and mustard.
Top chicken or chops with apples and onions, serve potatoes alongside topped with crispy brats and douse everything in gravy.