Aired February 10, 2012
- 2 cups crme fraiche
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan
- 3 drops black truffle oil
- 1/4 cup minced cooked bacon
- Salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes, to taste
- For the Homemade Potato Chips:
- 2 russet potatoes
- Oil, for frying (vegetable, peanut or canola)
- For the Bacon Salt:
- 3 slices of bacon
- 1 cup Maldon sea salt
For the Dip:
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and season with salt, pepper and red pepper to taste. Serve with homemade potato chips (or a nice store-bought brand) alongside for dipping.
For the Homemade Potato Chips:
Slice potatoes thin using a mandolin or food processor.
Rinse well with cold water in a colander and drain. Dry slices well with clean towels.
Fill a Dutch oven or large, heavy saucepan with 2-3 inches of oil. Heat oil to 300F.Fry potato slices in several batches (add them one at a time so that they don't stick together) until golden brown. Remove and dry on paper towels.
Season potato chips with bacon salt.
For the Bacon Salt:
Bake bacon at 350F until crispy. Crush in a mortar and pestle with the salt.