Aired January 11, 2012
- 1 tablespoon EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/3 to 1/2 pound thick-cut, smoky bacon, chopped
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 3-pound beef brisket
- 2 large leeks, thinly sliced
- 2 pints grape tomatoes
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup beef stock or broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- To serve on top:
- Watercress or arugula salad
- Parmesan Garlic Croutons
Place a large skillet over medium heat with EVOO, one turn of the pan. Add bacon to the pan and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve.
Return the skillet to medium-high heat with the bacon fat. Season both sides of the brisket with salt and pepper, and sear on all sides until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
While the meat is searing, add the reserved bacon, leeks, tomatoes, garlic, bay leaf, beef stock or broth, thyme, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and honey to the crock of a slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
Add the seared meat to the crock pot and cover. Cook on high for 7 hours or low for 9 to 10 hours until the meat is tender.
Serve in shallow bowls with croutons and salad on top.