Aired December 30, 2011
- About 3/4 cup EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 4 large starchy potatoes, each cut lengthwise into 6 fat wedges
- Salt and pepper
- 12 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Fresno chili peppers or red cherry peppers, quartered
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano or marjoram
- 2 large fresh bay leaves
- 4 chicken legs, 4 thighs and 2 full breasts, quartered (16 pieces of chicken total)
- 1/2 bottle dry white wine
- About 1 to 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup organic frozen peas
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Ciabatta bread, for mopping
Heat oven to 375F.
Place a roasting pan on the stovetop over a couple of burners and heat up about 1/2 cup of EVOO, a shallow layer, over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add in potatoes, season liberally with salt and pepper, and cook till golden brown on cut sides, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, chilies, oregano and bay to the browned potatoes, and cook for about 3-4 minutes more, turning occasionally. Transfer potatoes out of pan and heat up remaining 1/4 cup oil.
Season chicken liberally with salt and pepper then brown well on both sides. Deglaze with wine; add stock and scatter potatoes, garlic and chilies back in. Transfer to oven and roast 35-40 minutes, adding peas and butter in the last few minutes. Stir to combine. Top with lots of parsley and serve with bread for mopping.