Originally aired December 26, 2011
- 1 package cake mix or store-bought prepared cake
- 1 16-ounce container prepared chocolate frosting
- 1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- Sucker sticks and small skewers
- White chocolate chips, melted, optional
- Pink salt, Colored sugar, sprinkles, candy balls, or any of your favorite decorating candy, optional
Prepare cake according to package directions. Crumble into a bowl while still warm. If using day-old cake or cupcakes, pulse cake in food processor until it crumbles. Stir in frosting until well-mixed. Chill mixture for a couple of hours in the refrigerator.
Remove from refrigerator and, using a small scoop, form into balls. Push a skewer into each ball. Place on parchment paper and refrigerate for about an hour, or until firm.
Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or the microwave. Working in small batches, dip the cake pops in the melted chocolate and sprinkle with a little pink salt and decorating candy. Or, drizzle the cake ball with the white chocolate for decoration.