Aired December 20, 2011
- About 1/4 cup EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 to 8 anchovy filets
- 1 chili, Fresno or Italian red cherry pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 28-ounce can San Marzano tomatoes
- 8 to 10 torn basil leaves
Heat EVOO, 4 turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add anchovies, cover pan with splatter screen or lid and shake until anchovies begin to break up. Reduce heat a bit, uncover and stir until anchovies melt into oil. Add chili, garlic and oregano. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add tomato paste and let it cook out for a minute before deglazing the pan with the red wine. Add tomatoes and basil.
Simmer for 30 minutes or until thick.
Freeze flat in a gallon-size bag or small sandwich-size bags for smaller servings.
Serve over pasta.