Aired November 7, 2011
- For the Burgers:
- 1 1/2 pounds 80% lean ground beef
- 1/4 pound good quality smoky bacon, finely chopped (uncooked)
- 2 round tablespoons pured chipotle in Adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 3 to 4 tablespoons grated onion
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable or olive oil for drizzling
- For the 3 Cheese Queso:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 round tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- About 1 1/2 cups, grated Manchego cheese, 1/3 pound
- About 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack, 1/4 pound
- About 1/4 to 1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, couple of small handfuls
- 6 burger rolls, split
- For the Toppings:
- Crispy tortilla chips blue, yellow or multigrain
- Minced red onions
- Chopped cilantro
- Chopped seeded tomato
- Pickled jalapeo slices
Combine beef with bacon, chipotle paste, Worcestershire, garlic, onion, salt and pepper. Form 6 patties that are thinner at center and thicker at edges for even cooking. Drizzle with a little oil.
Heat a cast-iron skillet or double-burner griddle pan over medium-high heat.
Melt butter in a small pan over medium heat. Whisk in flour, cook 1 minute then add milk. Cook to thicken then melt in cheeses.
Meanwhile, grill the burgers 5 minutes on each side for medium, a minute less per side for rare, a minute more per side for medium-well.
Place burgers on bun bottoms and top with cheese sauce, chips and toppings. Set bun tops in place and serve.