Originally aired October 21, 2011
- 1 small handful dried shrimp, optional
- Spicy Ketchup Sauce, optional:
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha chili sauce
- Fried Rice:
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon peeled and grated ginger
- 1 medium carrot, cut in 1/4-inch dice
- 4 ounces cooked Chinese pork (char siu) or ham, cut in 1/4-inch dice
- 3 fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 cups cooked jasmine rice, a day old
- 1 to 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- Sea salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 to 2 green onions, sliced on a diagonal, for garnish
If desired, in a small bowl, soak the dried shrimp in hot water for 20 minutes, then drain and set aside.
For the spicy ketchup sauce, if using: In a small bowl, combine the ketchup and chili sauce and set aside.
For the fried rice: Heat a wok over high heat and add 1 tablespoon peanut oil. Add the eggs and scramble, then set aside on a plate.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon peanut oil to the wok. Add the ginger and stir-fry for less than 1 minute. Then add the carrots and stir-fry for 1 minute more. Add the pork, the soaked dried shrimp if using, and mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes. Then add the peas and cooked rice, and toss together. Season the mixture with the light soy sauce, salt and pepper. At the very end, add the sesame oil and spicy ketchup sauce, if using. Check the seasoning and adjust to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with green onions and serve immediately.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 20 minutes
Ease of preparation: easy