Aired October 12, 2011
- From the pantry
- Salt and pepper
- EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Pasta (we used spaghetti)
- Dried herbs
- Peanut butter
- Cheese (we used part-skim mozzarella)
- Mustard (we used Dijon-style)
- Shopping List
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast $2.99/lb.
- 1 apple $1.15 ($1.99/lb)
- Sandwich bread (we used soft wheat) $1.99/loaf
- 1 carrot $ .25 ($.99/lb)
- 1 banana $ .20
- 1 cucumber $.79
- Cherry tomatoes $2.50/pint
- Yogurt (2 single-serving containers with granola) $2.78
- Sunflower seeds $ .99
- TOTAL $13.64
Spread (about 2 tablespoons) peanut butter over 1 slice sandwich bread. Spread jam or drizzle honey or maple syrup over peanut butter. Top with 4 slices banana, overlapping slightly. (I halve banana crosswise and slice half lengthwise into thin slices that cover bread thinly and evenly.) Top with 1 slice bread. Cut out shapes using sandwich or cookie cutters or trim off crusts and cut sandwich into 2 rectangular bars, 4 squares or 4 small circles. Repeat for second sandwich.
Thinly spread edges of cut sandwiches with peanut butter. Pour 1/2 cup sunflower seeds or chopped nuts on a plate; dip edges in seeds or nuts to coat.
Pack a single-serve yogurt with granola packed into lid alongside.