Serves 4 cups
Originally aired October 3, 2011
- 2 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 5 cups powdered (10x) sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoons lukewarm water
Put the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and mix on low speed until butter is smooth with no lumps. With the motor running, add the sugar, 1 cup at a time, only adding the next cup after the first addition has been integrated into the mixture.
Stop the machine and add the vanilla and salt. Paddle on low-medium speed until completely smooth, approximately 2 minutes. Add the water and continue to mix until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
The frosting can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.