Originally aired September 26, 2011
- 1 fresh or defrosted Cornish Hen
- 1 cup of 100% orange/pineapple juice
- 1 cup of Italian salad dressing
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Salt and Pepper
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil, as much as needed
- For the Mango Chutney:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium to large mango, diced
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 tablespoon Jamaican curry powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh or dried cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
Clean hens inside and out, removing gizzard pack. Cut bird lengthwise in half.
In a large, shallow dish, place hens skin-side up. Pour orange/pineapple juice, dressing, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Refrigerate and marinade for 2-4 hours.
Coat grill with oil and preheat to 350F to 400F. Remove hen halves from marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Place bird halves skin-side up on grill and cook on each side for approximately 10-15 minutes, when internal temperature reaches 165F degrees on a meat thermometer placed in thigh.
While bird is grilling, prepare Mango Chutney: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add mango, shallots and red pepper, and simmer 5 minutes. Add spices, hot sauce, salt and sugar. Continue to simmer on low heat for 10 minutes more.
Remove hen halves from grill and place on plate. Pour Spicy Mango Chutney on top or side. Garnish with cilantro and enjoy!