Aired September 20, 2011
- 4 6-ounce pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Salt and pepper
- Juice of 2 limes, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano, 1/3 palmful
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped, divided
- About 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large or 2 medium ears of corn
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 fresh jalapeo peppers, seeded and finely chopped, divided
- 1 can vegetarian spicy or traditional refried beans
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups seeded, chopped heirloom or ripe tomatoes
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 Fresno chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, a handful of leaves, finely chopped
- 3/4 pound easy-melting cheese, such as Monterey Jack, cheddar or Mexican cheeses such as Asadero or Chihuahua
- 2 cups lightly crushed thin crispy tortilla chips, such as Xochitl brand
- 1 small can pickled sliced jalapeo rings, such as La Morena brand, drained
Butterfly chicken by slicing each piece across but not all the way through. Pound breast meat as thin as possible, 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
Combine juice of 1 lime in a shallow dish with 1 teaspoon cumin, oregano, 2 cloves finely chopped garlic, and about 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Turn chicken to coat in marinade. Do not let chicken set longer than 10-15 minutes in marinade because of the acid content.
Heat griddle over 2 burners or a large skillet over medium-high heat. Grill chicken 3 minutes on each side to brown at edges.
Meanwhile, in 1 small pan heat a tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium heat, add chopped yellow onions and remaining garlic, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper, salt, 1 chopped jalapeo pepper. Saut to soft, transfer to a food processor, add refried beans and 1 cup water. Pure, return mixture to pan and simmer 2-3 minutes to thicken back up a bit and for flavors to combine.
Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a small skillet over high heat. Scrape corn from cob and add to pan. Char corn to brown at edges, 3-4 minutes. Turn off and add to mixing bowl and let cool.
To corn, add chopped tomatoes, red onion, remaining chopped fresh jalapeo, chopped Fresno, cilantro, juice of remaining lime and salt, to taste.
Top chicken with warm refried bean dip, a handful of shredded cheese, a handful of tortilla pieces, lots of Pico de Gallo salsa with corn and some pickled jalapeo peppers.