Aired September 12, 2011
- For the Deviled Ham Spread:
- 1/2 pound deli-sliced French-style (mild) ham, coarsely chopped
- 1 rounded tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- A few small sprigs parsley
- 3 tablespoons grated onion
- Black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter plus a few dabs to cook eggs
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 4 hand-cut slices about 3/4-inch thick brioche or white bread
- 16 thin asparagus spears, blanched, shocked and dried
- 2 cups grated Gruyre cheese
- 4 extra-large organic eggs
- Cornichons, to pass at table
- Dijon, to pass at table
Preheat oven to 375F.
Place ham in the bowl of a food processor with the mustard, Tabasco, paprika, parsley sprigs, grated onion and a few grinds of pepper. Process until very finely chopped and combined.
Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute. Whisk in milk and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Thicken to coat spoon.
Arrange bread on a baking sheet and spread the deviled ham evenly over the slices. Top each with 4 asparagus spears then cover with bchamel sauce and some cheese. Transfer to oven and bake until golden.
Cook eggs to your liking and top each sandwich with an egg. Serve with a few cornichons and extra mustard at the table.