Originally aired July 8, 2011
- 1 pound Idaho potatoes, cut into thin wedges
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled cut into wedges
- EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for liberal drizzling
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 pound sauerkraut
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup pickle relish
- 1 1/2 pounds 1/4-inch thick sliced corned beef, chopped
- About 2 cups, 12 ounces, shredded Emmentaler cheese or Gruyre cheese
- Chopped celery tops or parsley for garnish
Preheat oven to 400F.
Preheat a large, cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
In a large bowl, combine potatoes with a liberal drizzle of EVOO, enough to coat potatoes. Season with salt, pepper, a little nutmeg and caraway seeds. Add to hot pan, toss around and situate in fairly even layer. Transfer to oven and roast about 20-25 minutes.
Rinse and drain sauerkraut.
Combine ketchup, sour cream and relish in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
Remove skillet from oven and top the potatoes with sauerkraut, sauce, chopped corned beef and cheese. Return skillet to oven and bake 10-12 minutes more until cheese is bubbly. Serve from hot skillet.