Serves 4 to 8
Originally aired May 11, 2011
- 1 cup vegetable juice (I recommend V-8)
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground celery seed
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 cupolive oil
- 1 pound flank steak
- Small celery stalks and leaves, and grilled tomatoes, for garnish (optional)
In a large bowl, thoroughly mix all the ingredients except for the flank steak and the garnish. Pour half the marinade into a resealable 1-gallon plastic bag and add the flank steak. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 8 and up to 24 hours.
Pour the remaining marinade into a saucepan over medium-high and simmer until it is reduced by half, about 10 to 15 minutes. Season to taste.
Preheat a grill to high or heat a skillet over high heat. Remove the flank steak from the marinade and wipe off the excess liquid with paper towels. (Discard the meats marinade.) Grill or pan-sear both sides, then lower the heat to medium and cook to medium rare (135F), 8 to 10 minutes.
Let the flanks steak rest, covered with foil, for 5 to 10 minutes. Cut the steak on the bias across the grain and serve with the reduced marinade. If desired, garnish with celery and tomatoes.